Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stocking Completion!!





Several years ago, my mom began making Christmas stockings for all of the children and grandchildren. That's 20+ stockings if anyone is counting. Well, we have loved them, and the kids won't even consider any other stocking. When Jennifer got married, she told me that I would have to make a stocking for Adam. Haha, ok, no biggie. I looked a little to see if there were any clearance ones I could pick up, but never did get one. Then about October, she reminded me again that I needed to make Adam a stocking. Ok, ok. So I found one that would be great for him and ordered it. Finally the package comes and when I opened it, I wanted to cry! There were so many little pieces, sequins, beads, embroidery floss! I needed a magnifying glass to read the instructions. There were over 145 pieces to the stocking, all of which needed to be embroidered, beaded, sequined and/or stuffed. Where was my mom when I needed her??

The longer Mom has been gone, the more I realize I took for granted. First of all, I assumed she would always be here. Secondly, I assumed she would always do all of the things that she always did. If you didn't know my mom, she was wonder woman. Well, now I am trying to fill her shoes, and more and more things keep popping up that mom always did, and now it's my job to do them. I am so lucky to have had her teach me all of the things she did so that I can carry on some of these important traditions with my family.

I finished Adam's stocking today, I think Mom would be proud.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

She is proud! You rocked that sock. Adam will be thrilled too--make sure you tell him there is love in every stitch and sequin since they really don't understand how much work something like this is. Great job.

Jana said...

Adam's stocking is AMAZING!!! I bet your mom watched over your shoulder a time or two. She was wonderful and so are you!

((((HUGS))))

Jana

Wendy said...

I love it! You did a great job and he will love it. My mom had that same idea once that she would make those for each person- until she made the first one. They are SO extremely intricate! Congrats on making one. Perhaps you can just get started on the next few NOW so all you need to do is fill in the name as the other kids get married or grandkids start coming. :) Merry Christmas Beth! Love you guys.

zollybunch said...

Oh Beth it turned out BEAUTIFUL!! Can you start a new tradition and make them for your cousins family now? haha!! ;o) I miss your mom too - just a wonderful woman who was extremely talented. I still have the quilt she made for me 22 years ago when we got married and use it every winter. Your mom would be very proud of you!!