Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Moving On




It seems that life has a way of moving on at the speed of light whether we like it or not. Our family faces some big changes, good changes, but changes nonetheless, and I don't do change very well. Jordyn has finished kindergarten, she will be in school all day next year, and part of me will miss my little shadow. I'll be home all alone all day, and while I look forward to that, I still feel a little empty when I think about it.

Matthew graduated from the sixth grade this week. Next year he will be in junior high. He will turn 13 and be a teenager this summer. How is that possible? He's still just my little boy.

Ammon will be in high school next fall. He is already pushing boundaries and rushing to grow up and be independent. He is anxious to drive, and has friends who already do, which makes him think he has more freedom. I wish I could just tie him down and make him slow down a bit. He'll be playing football with the 'big boys', and has already started hanging out with some of the older kids. Ammon can't be in high school because he's only 12, right?

We're coming up on Michael's 'hump' day this summer. It's hard to believe he's been out almost a year. I miss him like crazy, and I hurt when he goes through difficulties, but I am so proud of him too. His mission has gone by much faster than I ever thought it would, but I can't wait to get him home, even though I know things will never be the same as they were before.

At least Jenn and Adam aren't changing anything this year. Thank goodness for that! I do need a little stability in my life.

Jayme has finished her bachelor's degree and is getting married this summer and moving to Cedar City. Talk about change! I am so proud of her for finishing school and getting her degree, it's been a long road, but she hung in there and did it. I'm excited for her to be moving on to a new stage in her life, but I will be a little lonely without her here. I don't know what I'll do if my kids ever move very far away, guess I'll be racking up some frequent flier miles or something.

Change is part of life, and I need to accept it, but I don't like it. I know it means progression and can't be avoided, but I still don't like it. People always say, "enjoy this while you can", but you don't really understand until it's too late. Good thing I'm enjoying the now, and look forward to enjoying the tomorrows. I may have learned that lesson late in life, but I'm grateful to have learned it. Can't I just freeze time for a little while though?

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Change is soooo hard for me too. Your family is beautiful and growing up way too fast.

zollybunch said...

I'm with you...they grow up way too fast, don't they? You have a beautiful family Beth! You're such a great mom!!