Monday, February 1, 2010

Jennifer & Adam's Big Day!!


When Jennifer was 15 she attended our stake youth conference, which was a pioneer trek. In her "family" she met the man of her dreams. He was tall and had amazing blue eyes. She was smitten immediately, him, not so much. Fast forward a few years, Adam had returned from his mission to Spain and Jenn had just graduated from high school. She was living in Provo, attending BYU, and went to another friends mission homecoming. Well, Adam didn't even recognize Jenn, and she didn't want to embarass him, so they didn't speak. Next thing we knew, they were together pretty much all the time.

After they'd been dating for over a year, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that they would be getting married, it was just a question of when. They kept talking about May, after school was out for the summer, so that was what we all had in our heads. Then, in October, Jenn asked me what we would think about them getting married in January. Are you kidding me?? Three months to plan a wedding with the holidays right in the middle of that? Ok, I'm wonder woman, we can do this.

Jenn and Adam were sealed for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on January 15. As we were driving to Salt Lake that morning, the sky was really hazy and overcast with lots of fog. It was so cold that the trees were covered in frost. We went inside and I helped Jenn get ready, then we went outside for pictures before the ceremony. It was still freezing but the sky had cleared some, and the sun was starting to peek out.


They took pictures until it was time to go back inside and get ready. The temple workers took us all up to the sealing room to wait for the bride and groom. While we were sitting there, I kept hoping that I would somehow know that my mom was there. The sealer was quite elderly, and because of some things he said, like calling Adam Brother Angie, it was pretty hard to feel anything spiritual. However, as they knelt at the alter to exchange their vows, I had such a strong feeling that my mom was sitting right next to me. I felt that if I had turned my head I would see her. I am so grateful that I was allowed to know she was there with us on that special day.

After the sealing ceremony, we went outside to join the others and wait for the presentation of Mr. & Mrs. Ainge and more pictures. Jennifer's bridesmaides were Jayme, Ashley Kay and McKell Miner. Adam's groomsmen were Weston Ainge, Clay Bingham and Jared Oldham. By the time they were finished with pictures, we barely had time to rush home for the reception.

Their reception was held at our church building. I had wonderful friends who helped with the food, and we had hired decorators. That was money well spent!! The hall was beautiful, and everything went perfectly, it was such a wonderful day. You could just see the joy on Jenn and Adam's faces, they were so, so happy, and we are happy for them.

I often thought how hard it would be to see my daughter get married and not be my little girl anymore. I wondered how we could ever accept someone into our family and love him like a son. How could we grow to love him the way our daughter did, and trust him to take care of her? Well, I guess this one was meant to be, because it was much easier than I ever thought it would be. Adam has truly become part of our family, and it was completely natural for them to get married. I still have flashes of not wanting to let go, but it's getting easier each day. When I see how happy they are and how good they are together, I know it's a good thing. I really have learned to love Adam as part of our family, and I'm glad to have him in it.

No comments: