Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Good Bye to a Cousin

Last month I got a phone call that made my heart drop. My cousin, Jennifer Wilson Moss was killed in a car accident. Jennifer is the youngest daughter of my Aunt Kathleen. We were never especially close, but we were family. I remember lots of holidays and family bbq's at Grandma and Grandpa Johnson's house. We also had cousin sleepovers with just the girls. We had lots of fun together.

It was a horrible, tragic accident that didn't need to happen. She had just dropped her son off at vacation bible school and was going home. As she was waiting to make a left hand turn on her street, a distracted driver rear-ended her and pushed her into oncoming traffic. I believe she died instantly, and there wasn't a mark on her.

My dad and I were able to make the trip to Colorado Springs together to be a support for the rest of the family. It was heartbreaking, and gut wrenching, and every other cliche I can think of to see her family grieving so hard. She left behind 5 sons and a husband in addition to her brother, three sisters, and her mom. I wish I could have been more of a comfort, give more reassurance of the things I know to be true. I wish they knew with the surety that I do that families are forever. It isn't just a phrase or a nice thing to say, it is real, and it is true. I pray that they will be able to find the peace and comfort that only the Savior can give.

It was a long drive, but it was nice to be able to have the one on one time with my dad. We had some good talks, and it was really enjoyable. It was great to see my cousins again. I can't remember the last time I saw the girls, I think it was Grandpa's funeral. Judy and her husband Hussein, and her daughter Nikki were there. Janet and her girls, Jennifer and Danielle, came from Houston. JoAnn & Chris and their children drove from Illinois. Jim and Jill and all of their family were there too. We had some good visits, and some good bonding time. It made me realize how much I miss having family close by. We talked about trying for a reunion next year, we'll see if it happens. I hope it does. We need those family connections.

No comments: