Sunday, December 28, 2008

Families are Forever!!


Friday brought us a really special opportunity masked in tragedy and sorrow. We were able to attend the funeral of the son of our dear friends, Dave and Katrina Harlan. Neal was killed in a car accident last Monday while traveling up the canyon for a day of snowboarding. We went early so that we could have a few minutes with the Harlan family. I cannot imagine the grief and pain of losing a child, and while they were tearful and sad, they were also strong and hopeful. They are such an amazing family with so much strength -- I really admire them. We had gone over to their home on Wednesday, and Dave just kept saying how grateful he was for the Gospel. Without that comfort, the pain would be unbearable.


They had set up displays of Neal in the foyer. Pictures and things he loved. A lot of the pictures were of him as a young boy, so we were seeing the Neal that we remembered. There was even a picture of him with Jenn and Michael at Chuck E Cheese when they were probably 6 or so. That was hard for Jennifer to see, I think it brought back a lot of memories for her. When we first moved into our home, 15 years ago, the Harlan's had also just moved into their home. We became fast friends. All of our kids were the same ages, and were instant buddies. Jennifer was the only girl in a pack of little boys that age. We would go camping and hiking together several times a year, and had wonderful times together. Ammon and Chloe were even born on the same day in the same hospital! About 7 or 8 years ago, they moved to Mapleton. We have stayed friends, but not as close as we were. It's funny though, how tragedy brings people back into your lives. The love we have for them is still just as strong as it ever was.


The service itself was very nice. The Stake Center was packed clear back to the stage. I think half of Springville High was there. The opening song was "Called to Serve". What a poignant choice that was. Their daughter Brianna is on a mission in France, and they feel that Neal ended his mission earth early to serve a different type of mission in heaven. Camille spoke and shared some of the families favorite memories of Neal. She did such a good job! Dave then spoke, sharing thoughts of his only son. Then the Bishop spoke about the plan of salvation and put things into perspective. Although it was emotionally draining and totally gut wrenching, it was a good day. It still hurts to think about, but I know the Harlan family will be ok. I am so grateful for my testimony. I know that the gospel is true. I know that we will live again with our Father in Heaven. I know that families can be forever, and I believe that we will be. I know that through our Savior, Jesus Christ, we can do all things. I know that he suffered and died for us to take away our pain and our sorrows, if only we will let him.


Because of this experience this week, I've been a little more reflective, and a little more grateful for my own children. Michael had the thought that if the Harlan's hadn't moved, he and Neal would still be good friends, and there is possibility that he could have been in that car too. I just want to hug my kids and hold them close and never let them go. I've been giving lots of extra hugs this week!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends and you. That would be so difficult, especially so close to Christmas. I'm also so thankful for the gospel which gives us peace and comfort from our loving Heavenly Father.

Kristine said...

Thanks Beth for sharing your experiences with the Harlan family. As hard as it would have been I wished I could have been there. Katrina taught preschool for me, and I really thought a lot of her and her family.
Thanks so much for your encouragement over the last several weeks. My energy level is like a rollercoaster going up and down rather quickly but give me a call I would love a visit. Thanks, Kris